Advertisements

Sights in Dublin

Dublin is a lively capital with many noteworthy sights such as Trinity College, St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Phoenix Park, and Merrion Square. It is an old city that is certainly worth taking a trip to although you may need a week to see everything the city has to offer its visitors.

  • Baily Lighthouse—a lighthouse built in 1814 that provides great views across the Irish Sea and the parking lot above the lighthouse looks out over the bay and Dublin; Howth Summit
  • Bank of Ireland—located across the street from the west façade of Trinity College is this striking building that was formerly the home of the Irish Parliament and has a pedimented portico; inside is the original House of Lords with an oak-panel nave, a 1,233 drop Waterford glass chandelier, and tapestries that depict the battle of the Boyne and the Siege of Derry; 2 College Green
  • Chester Beatty Library—deemed a library but actually more like a museum, this collection assembled by Sir Alfred Chester Beatty is considered to be one of the most significant collections of Islamic, Early Christian, and Far Eastern art in the Western world with exhibits including clay tablets from Babylon that date back to 2700 BC, Japanese wood-block prints, Chinese jade books, early papyrus bibles, and Turkish and Persian paintings with a second floor dedicated to the major world religions that includes 250 manuscripts of the Koran from across the Muslim world and an early Gospel; Castle Street
  • Christ Church Cathedral—a Dublin landmark that was first built in 1172 by Strongbow, a Norman baron and conqueror of Dublin from England and finished constructed in 1222; major reconstruction occurred in the late 19th century due to the deterioration of the church and added a bridge that connected the cathedral to the old Synod Hall which is now home to a Viking multimedia exhibition called Dublinia; the crypt has 12th and 13th century vaults and is Dublin’s oldest surviving structure and the most noteworthy feature of the cathedral with an exhibition called “The Treasures of Christ Church” that has manuscripts, various historic artifacts, and a tabernacle used when King James II was a worshipper; Christ Church Place and Winetavern Street
  • City Hall—this building that was once the Royal Exchange is at the southwestern corner of Temple Bar and is now the seat of Dublin Corporation, the governing body of the city, that was designed by Thomas Cooley with 12 columns that encircle a central rotunda and 12 frescoes that show Dublin legends and ancient Irish historical scenes and inside is a multimedia exhibition that features artifacts, kiosks, graphics, and audiovisual presentations that trace the evolution of Dublin; Dame Street
  • Custom House—a beautiful Georgian building that was built by James Gandon, an English architect, between 1781 and 1791 with a statue of Commerce atop the copper dome and statues based on allegories on the main façade and a visitor center that recounts the history of the building and the life of Gandon; Custom House Quay
  • Dublin Castle—the seat and symbol of British rule of Ireland for over 700 years and is used today for Irish and European Union governmental purposes with a large Great Courtyard that allegedly is the site of the Black Pool (Dubh Linn) from which Dublin got its name; the Record Tower which is the largest remaining relic of the original Norman buildings built by King John between 1208 and 1220; the clock tower building that houses the Chester Beatty Library; and the State Apartments which are now used by the president of Ireland to host visiting heads of state and EU ministers; Castle Street
  • Dublin City Gallery the Hugh Lane—Francis Bacon’s studio that was reconstructed exactly as the artist left it upon his death and has a beautiful façade with two half-moon arcades and was built as a town house for the Earl of Charlemont in 1762 and is now an art gallery named after sir Hugh Lane, a nephew of Lady Gregory, W.B Yeats’s aristocratic patron, who collected impressionist and 19th century Irish and Anglo-Irish works; Parnell Square North
  • Dublin Writers Museum—a museum situated within a restored 18th century town house on the north side of Parnell Square that features the Gallery of Writers which includes rare manuscripts, diaries, posters, letters, limited and first editions, photographs, and other mementos and a room dedicated to children’s literature; 18 Parnell Square North
  • Dublin Zoo—founded in 1830 and the third-oldest public zoo in the world that went through a major renovation completed in 2007 and is home to animals from tropical climates, Arctic species that swim in lakes near the Reptile House, lions, an African Plains section, a safari, and a primate area; Phoenix Park
  • Farmleigh—a 78-acre Edwardian estate located northwest of Phoenix Park that includes Farmleigh House which has antique furnishings and historic art and accommodates visiting dignitaries; a working farm; walled and sunken gardens; picnic grounds; an organic food market; and a restaurant in the boathouse; Castleknock
  • GAA Museum—the main stadium and headquarters of the Gaelic Athletic Association as well as a museum that explains the four Gaelic games (hurling, football, camogie, and handball) and has high-tech displays that allow visitors to learn about the history and highlights of the games; St. Joseph’s Avenue, Croke Park Stadium
  • Gallery of Photography—the premier photography gallery in Dublin with a permanent collection of early 20th century Irish photography and monthly exhibitions of works by modern Irish and international photographers; Meeting House Square South
  • Garden of Remembrance—a garden in Parnell Square that honors those who died fighting for Ireland’s freedom and at the entrance has a large plaza with steps that lead down to the fountain area where there is a swan sculpture; Parnell Square
  • General Post Office—a rebuilt post office building with a long history that dates back to the early 19th century when it was built by the British as a communications center and was used by Irish rebels in 1916 during the Easter Rising when Irish Republican forces stormed the building and issued the Proclamation of the Irish Republic; it was rebuilt and reopened in 1929 becoming a working post office in 1929; O’Connell Street
  • Glasnevin Cemetery and Museum—the most well-known burial ground in Dublin that is the site of the graves of many Irish leaders including Eamon de Valera and Michael Collins as well as the late 19th century poet Gerard Manley Hopkins and Daniel O’Connell who helped fight for Catholic emancipation which was achieved in 1829 and also includes a museum with a “City of the Dead” permanent exhibition that delves into the burial practices and religious beliefs of the 1.5 million people buried in Glasnevin and a gallery with exhibits on significant historical figures buried there; Glasnevin
  • Guinness Storehouse—Ireland’s top brewery founded by Arthur Guinness in 1759 and once the largest stout-producing brewery in the world that covers a 60-acre area west of Christ Church Cathedral and is the most popular tourist destination in Dublin with a museum housed in a 1904 cast-iron and brick warehouse spread out over six floors built around a central glass atrium shaped like a giant pint glass; under the glass floor of the lobby is Arthur Guinness’s original lease for the site for 9,000 years and the exhibition in the museum explains the brewing process and its history with antique presses and vats; a glimpse into bottle and can design over the years; a history of the Guinness family; an archive of Guinness advertisements; and a chance to pull a perfect pint with the main attraction being the top-floor Gravity Bar with 360-degree floor to ceiling glass walls that provide a great view out over the city; St. James’ Gate
  • Irish Jewish Museum—a museum opened in 1985 by Israeli president Chaim Herzog and dedicated to the European Jews who fled pogroms of Eastern Europe to Ireland in the late 19th and early 20th centuries that features a restored synagogue and a display of photographs, letters, and personal memorabilia from Dublin’s most prominent Jewish families as well as exhibits that explore the Jewish presence in Ireland dating back to 1067 and references to Jews in Ulysses; 3-4 Walworth Road
  • Irish Museum of Modern Art—situated within the Royal Hospital Kilmainham this art museum focuses on the work of modern Irish artists, has international exhibitions, displays works by non-Irish artists such as Picasso and Miro in addition to more current artists like Damian Hirst, and hosts touring shows from major European museums; Kilmainham La
  • Iveagh Gardens—a garden designed in 1865 by Ninian Niven in an “English landscape” style that has a rustic grotto and cascade, sunken lawns with fountains, a blooming rosarium, and wooded areas as well as a waterfall with rocks from each of Ireland’s 32 counties; Clonmel Street
  • James Joyce Centre—a center devoted to James Joyce housed in a restored 18th century Georgian townhouse that was once the dancing academy of Professor Denis J. Maginni (a figure in Ulysses, just one of Joyce’s celebrated novels), and features an extensive library and archives, exhibition rooms, a bookstore, and a café with the collection including letters from Beckett, Joyce’s guitar and cane, and an edition of Ulysses illustrated by Matisse; 35 North Great George’s Street
  • Little Museum of Dublin—an eclectic museum with a singular purpose to tell the history of Dublin in the last hundred years through objects and stories from residents with a collection including art, photography, ads, letters, objects, and other items relating to life in Dublin since 1900; 15 Stephen’s Green
  • Malahide Castle—a castle that was occupied by the Talbot family from 1185 to 1976 when it was sold to the County Council and has a large expanse of parkland around the castle with over 5,000 different species of trees and shrubs clearly labeled, a three-story tower house dating back to the 12th century, walled gardens, and the only medieval great hall in Ireland kept in its original form; an addition includes a visitor center, Avoca restaurant, and a shop; 6 miles north of Howth on Coast Road, Malahide
  • Marino Casino—an architectural landmark built between 1762 and 1771 from a plan by Sir William Chambers that has a china-closet boudoir, a huge golden sunset in the ceiling of the main drawing room, and the signs of the zodiac in the ceiling of the bijou library, and a mysterious amount of rooms; Malahide Road, Marino
  • Marsh’s Library—Ireland’s first public library with a collection of 250 manuscripts and 25,000 books from the 15th to the 18th centuries that has been restored with attention to its original architectural details; St. Patrick’s Close off Patrick Street
  • Merrion Square—a beautiful square lined on three sides by well-preserved Georgian townhouses and on the west side are Leinster House, the National Museum of Natural History, and the National Gallery; also, in the square are flower gardens, evergreen grounds with sculptures and winding paths, and the south side which has the Church of Ireland St. Stephen’s Church
  • National Botanic Gardens—this botanic garden dates back to 1795 and has more than 20,000 varieties of plants, a rose garden, and a vegetable garden as well as the Curvilinear Range that are 400-foot-long greenhouses designed and built by a Dublin ironmaster, Richard Turner, between 1843 and 1869; Glasnevin Road
  • National Gallery of Ireland—an art museum that has over 2,500 paintings and 10,000 other works including pieces by Caravaggio, Van Gogh, and Vermeer with highlights that include a major collection of paintings by Irish artists from the 17th to 20th centuries with works by Roderic O’Conor, Sir William Orpen, and William Leech and a Yeats Museum section with works by members of the Yeats family including pieces by Jack B. Yeats, brother of W.B. Yeats, and the most well-known Irish painter of the 20th century; Merrion Square West
  • National Library—a library that includes works by W.B. Yeats, George Bernard Shaw, Samuel Beckett, and Seamus Heaney and features first editions of every major Irish writer including works by Jonathan Swift, Oliver Goldsmith, and James Joyce, and almost every book ever published in Ireland housed within the library along with a great selection of old maps and a large collection of Irish newspapers and magazines; Kildare Street
  • National Library Photographic Archive—a significant photographic resource with regular exhibitions and a collection that has 600,000 photographs many of which are Irish and provide a visual history of Ireland; Meeting House Square
  • National Museum of Archaeology—this museum which is one of four branches of the National Museum of Ireland has a vast collection of Irish artifacts dating from 7000 BC to the present with the largest collection of Celtic antiquities in the world including gold jewelry, carved stones, bronze tools, and weapons; the Treasury permanent collection with the 8th century Ardagh Chalice, a two-handled silver cup with gold filigree decoration, the bronze St. Patrick’s Bell, the oldest surviving example of Irish metalwork (5th-8th century), the 8th century Tara Brooch made of white bronze, amber, and glass, and the 12th century jewel-encrusted Cross of Cong; an exhibit on Vikings with a life-size Viking skeleton, swords, leather works recovered in Dublin and surrounding areas, and a replica Viking boat; location: Kildare St. Annex 7-9, Merrion Row
  • National Museum of Decorative Arts and History—the National Museum’s large collection of glass, silver, furniture, and other decorative arts located within the Collins Barracks named after the assassinated Irish Republican leader, Michael Collins, and featuring one of the best collections of Irish silver in the world and Irish period furniture; Benburb Street
  • National Museum of Natural History—one of the four branches of the National Museum that is Victorian in nature with an Irish room that features skeletons of the extinct giant Irish elk; the International Animals collection with a 65-foot whale skeleton suspended from the roof; and the Blaschka Collection with detailed glass models of marine creatures; Merrion Street
  • National Transport Museum of Ireland—a museum that houses a tram that once traveled from the railway station in Howth over Howth Summit and back to the station and other vehicles such as horse-drawn bakery vans; Heritage Depot, Howth Demense
  • National Wax Museum—an engaging museum with famous figures from Irish history and literature in wax form, figures from children’s cartoons, and movie characters as well as a green-screen room where music videos can be recorded; The Amoury, Foster Place
  • Newbridge House and Farm—a stately Irish home built between 1740 and 1760 for Charles Cobbe, archbishop of Dublin, that is still home to the Cobbe family although the municipal government took over the house in 1985 and features the Red Drawing Room which is Ireland’s most luxurious 18th-century salon with Old Master paintings, Corinthian columns, and a rococo-style plaster ceiling and 366 acres of parkland, a restored 18th century animal farm, and a well-regarded coffee shop; Donabate, 5 miles north of Malahide, signposted from N1
  • 29—a refurbished home dating back to 1794 that is in line with the lifestyle of the middle class in Dublin between 1790 and 1820 with period furniture, paintings, carpets, curtains, paint, wallpapers, and bell pulls; 29 Fitzwilliam Street
  • Phoenix Park—Europe’s largest public park that extends about 3 miles along the Liffey’s north bank and has 1,752 acres of green lawns, woods, lakes, and playing fields with old-fashioned gas lamps lining both sides of Chesterfield Avenue, the main artery of the park, Victorian-era tea rooms, a flower garden, a visitor center, a café, and a walled garden
  • Royal Hospital Kilmainham—the most important 17th century building in Ireland that was commissioned as a hospice for disabled and veteran soldiers and completed in 1684 surviving into the 1920s as a hospital but then falling into disrepair until its renovation and includes a beautiful Baroque chapel with unique plasterwork ceiling and wood carvings and the Irish Museum of Modern Art; Kilmainham Lane
  • Science Gallery—a family-friendly museum/gallery with rotating exhibitions that allow art and science to interact with hands-on experiments and a sister shop on a neighboring street with a walk-in area where visitors can join in workshops on a variety of topics from robotics to clockmaking; Pearse Street
  • Patrick’s Cathedral—the largest cathedral in Dublin and the national cathedral of the Church of Ireland which was built in honor of Ireland’s patron saint and dedicated in 1192 in an early English Gothic style; it is the longest church in the country at 305 feet and has the Choir of St. Patrick’s with medieval banners and the tomb of Jonathan Swift, the most famous of St. Patrick’s deans, who held office from 1713 to 1745, the 17th century Boyle Monument with many painted figures of family members, and the monument to Turlough O’Carolan, one of the country’s finest harpists; located on Patrick Street
  • Stephen’s Green—a year-round 27-acre square that was once a private park and renovated in 1880 under the patronage of Sir Arthur Guinness and includes flower gardens; formal lawns; a Victorian bandstand; an ornamental lake with waterfowl; and winding paths with many statues throughout the park including a memorial to W.B. Yeats and another to James Joyce
  • The Ark—a children’s cultural center with creative activities such as music, poetry readings, film, dance, painting, interactive exhibitions, and other activities; 11a Eustace Street
  • The Old Library and the Book of Kells—home to Ireland’s largest collection of books and manuscripts with its most treasured work, the Book of Kells, which is considered to be one of the greatest masterpieces of early Christian art dating back to the 9th century and bound in four volumes in 1953; other treasures in the library are the Long Room which is the main room of the library with 200,000 of the 3 million volumes in Trinity College’s collection, a series of marble busts including one of Jonathan Swift, and the carved Royal Arms of Queen Elizabeth I (the only surviving relic of the original college buildings; Front Square, Trinity College
  • Trinity College—Ireland’s oldest and most well-known college founded in 1592 by Queen Elizabeth I that has had a host of famous alumni including Jonathan Swift; Oscar Wilde; Bram Stoker; and Samuel Beckett and is spread out over 40 acres with many of the buildings built in the 18th and early 19th centuries including the West Front which has a classical pedimented portico in the Corinthian style, faces College Green, and is across from the Bank of Ireland; a cobblestone quadrangle called Parliament Square usually referred to as Front Square; Examination Hall which dates back to the mid-1780s and has an interior designed by Michael Stapleton and an organ recovered from an 18th century Spanish ship and an oak chandelier from the old House of Commons; and a bell tower erected in 1853 that is at the center of the square
  • Wall of Fame—the front wall of the Button Factory music venue that has a huge mural dedicated to major Irish rock musicians such as U2, Sinead O’Connor, and Shane McGowan; Curved Street
Advertisements

Sights in Prague, Czech Republic

Prague is another historic city with a number of palaces, great museums, parks, vibrant neighborhoods, and memorials. It seems to be a very interesting city worth visiting.

  • Old Town Square—a bustling square surrounded by beautifully designed Baroque buildings, cafes, street entertainers, and craftspeople; 110 00 Praha 1
  • Vitus Cathedral—situated in the Prague Castle, this cathedral is the most significant and largest church in Prague that was the burial site of former Czech kings and home to the Czech Crown Jewels; Prague Castle
  • Prague Zoo—one of the top zoos in the world opened in 1931 with 4,600 animals and 680 species including 12 pavilions and 150 exhibits that include animals such as Asian elephants, giant Chinese salamanders, antelopes, giraffes, gharials, and gorillas; U Trojskeho Zamku 3/120
  • Prague Castle—the largest castle in Europe with over 700 rooms
  • Spanish Synagogue, Jewish Museum—home to permanent exhibitions that deal with the history of Jews in Bohemian lands from the 1780s to the post-WWII era and important Jewish entrepreneurs, scientists, writers, musicians, and artists along with more than 200 valuable silver artifacts; Vezenska 141/1
  • National Memorial to the Heroes of the Heydrich Terror—a museum that tells the story of Czech paratroopers defeated by 700 Nazi soldiers after killing an SS leader during WWII; Resslova 307/9a
  • National Gallery in Prague—an art museum with works from Czech artists and international masters such as Picasso, Van Gogh, Monet, and Rodin; Staromestske namesti 12
  • Basilica of St. Peter and St. Paul—a beautiful cathedral with an amazing view from the top; Rotunde 10, Vysehrad Fortress
  • Waldstein Palace—the home of the Czech Senate that was once a palace for royalty; Valdshtejnske namesti 17/4
  • Botanicka Zahrada—a public garden near Prague Zoo with a path that first takes you through a desert-like environment, through a tunnel under a rain forest, and into a room where there are plants found in tropical mountains; Trojska 196
  • Charles Bridge—Prague’s signature monument where you have amazing views of the towers and domes of the Lesser Quarter and the spires of St. Vitus’s Cathedral
  • Bazilika Svateho Jiri (St. George’s Basilica)—the best-preserved Romanesque church in the Czech Republic with a 12th-century interior that includes stone walls and small arched windows; Nam. U sv. Jiri
  • Clam-Gallas Palac (Clam-Gallas Palace)—designed by Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach, a Viennese baroque architect, this palace was constructed during a span of sixteen years and is now a state archive with occasional temporary art exhibitions and concerts; Husova 20
  • Franz Kafka Museum—a museum dedicated to the works of Franz Kafka, author of The Metamorphosis, who was a German author that lived in Prague almost his entire life, and the museum features facsimiles of manuscripts, documents, first editions, photographs, and newspaper obituaries displayed in glass vitrines; Hergetova Cihelna
  • Jan Hus Monument—a monument dedicated in 1915 500 years after Hus was burned at the stake in Germany that has been the subject of some controversy because its style clashes with the other styles of the square in which it is situated but still honors his ability to transform doctrinal disagreements into common language; Staromestske nam
  • Prague Jewish Museum—a museum that consists of six Jewish monuments: the Maisel Synagogue, the Pinkas Synagogue, the Spanish Synagogue, the Klaus Synagogue, the Ceremonial Hall, and the Old Jewish Cemetery; Reservation Centre, Maiselova 15
  • Municipal House—a restored home designed in the Art Nouveau style with a restaurant and café as well as richly decorated halls to explore upstairs; the home was the former site of the Royal Court, the seat of Bohemia’s kings from 1383 to 1483, and has a mosaic above the entrance “Homage to Prague” that is situated between sculptures representing the oppression and rebirth of the Czechs; namesti Republiky 5
  • Strahov Library—the largest monastic library in the Czech Republic that has two baroque halls that date from the 17th and 18th centuries but are no longer open to the public and feature floor to ceiling walnut shelving, ceiling frescoes, and ceiling embellishments; Strahovske nadvori 1
  • Loreta—a pilgrimage site founded by Benigna Katerina Lobkowicz in 1626 and designed as a replica of the Santa Casa (Sacred House, the home of Mary, mother of Jesus) in the holy land with the replica situated in the center of a courtyard complex surrounded by arcades, churches, and cathedrals; Loretanske namesti 7
  • National Monument—a large monument-museum dedicated to Klement Gottwald, the country’s first president, with a central hall home to marble sarcophagi that once were home to the remains of notable Communists and a war memorial with sculptures by Jan Stursa that features exhibits recounting the founding of the Czech Republic in 1918, World War II, the 1948 coup, and the Soviet invasion of 1968; U Pamatniku 1900
  • Convent of St. Agnes—located in the northeastern corner of Stare Mesto, this is the former convent of St. Agnes that is Prague’s oldest surviving Gothic building and now home to the National Gallery’s permanent collection of medieval and early Renaissance art from 1200-1550 from Bohemia and Central Europe; U Milosrdnych 17
  • Petrin—one of Prague’s largest green spaces that is a high hill with a lookout tower and mirror maze on top of the hill and also has the Kinsky Garden where the 18th century Church of St. Michael is situated
  • Mucha Museum—an interesting museum home to the art-nouveau posters, paintings, and decorative panels of Alfons Mucha as well as sketches, photographs, and other memorabilia; Panska 7
  • Nicholas Church—one of Central Europe’s finest baroque structures which has a ceiling fresco by Johann Kracker, Apotheosis of St. Nicholas, that is Europe’s largest fresco; the church itself was completed in 1755 and in 1787 Mozart played the pipe organ there and was honored with a requiem mass in 1791; Malostranske namesti 38
  • Prague City Museum—a great museum opened in 1898 that recounts the history of Prague from prehistory to the 20th century with labels in English and Czech and artifacts such as a scale model of the city as it was between 1826 and 1834 and the Astronomical Clock’s original 1866 calendar wheel; Na Porici 52
  • Museum of Decorative Arts—a museum open since 1900 that has four exhibit halls that feature artifacts such as furniture, tapestries, porcelain, and glasswork; 17 listopadu 2
  • Vysehrad Citadel—a complex of buildings and structures situated on the hilltop of Vysehrad Hill that over the span of 1000 years was a royal residence, religious center, and military fortress; information center at V pevnosti 159/5b
  • Apple Museum—a museum devoted to Apple that claims to have the world’s largest collection of Apple products with everything made by Apple between 1976 and 2012 including computers, laptops, iPods, and iPhones; Husova 21
  • National Museum—a museum built in the 1880s by Josef Schulz as a symbol of the Czech National Revival that inside honors the cultural, intellectual, and scientific history of the Czech Republic; Vaclavske namesti 68
  • National Technical Museum—a family-friendly museum that has halls featuring planes, trains, and cars as well as exhibits on astronomy, photography, printing, and architecture; Kostelni 42
  • Lobkowicz Palace—a 16th-century palace home to the Princely Collections that include paintings, furniture, and musical memorabilia with highlights including paintings by Cranach, Breughel the Elder, Canaletto, and Piranesi and musical scores annotated by Mozart, Beethoven, and Haydn as well as a great collection of musical instruments; Jirska 3
  • Wallenstein Garden—a huge garden that was created for Duke Albrecht of Wallenstein in the 17th century with a loggia decorated with Trojan War scenes and on one side a fake stalactite grotto and bronze statues of Greek gods; Letenska 10
  • Story of Prague Castle—an impressive collection of artifacts that rivals the one at Lobkowicz Palace and depicts 1000 years of Prague Castle’s history from the building of the first wooden palisade to the present with exhibits including the grave of a 9th-century warrior, the helmet and chain possibly worn by St. Wencelas, and replicas of the Bohemian crown jewels
  • Vitus Treasury—a collection of ecclesiastical artifacts founded by Charles IV in the 14th century that includes gold and silver reliquaries encrusted with diamonds, emeralds, and rubies; nadvori II, Prazsky hrad
  • Troja Chateau—a 17th-century Baroque palace that was built for the Sternberk family and has sculptures and frescoes with a permanent exhibition devoted to the interior furniture of the chateau and rotating exhibitions sponsored by the Prague City Gallery; U Trojskeho Zamku 1

Shopping in Vienna

Vienna has a wealth of shopping experiences from department stores such as Steffl to specialty clothing stores and specialty good stores such as bookstores and stores that sell housewares.

  • Manner Shop—a wafer sweet shop with Austrian candies; Stephansplatz 7
  • Meinl am Graben—a three-level food store for food connoisseurs with ingredients and fine food products; Graben 19
  • Xocolat—a small chocolate shop with a variety of chocolates for sale; Freyung 2
  • Shakespeare and Company—a well-stocked English language bookstore; Sterngasse 2
  • J&L Lobmeyr—a store run by six generations of glass makers who design handmade crystal and chandeliers; Kaertner Strasse 26
  • Das Goldene Wiener Herz—a store that sells porcelain mugs, wine glasses, postcards, and high-quality Viennese t-shirts; Kierchberggasse 17
  • Die Hollerei—a culinary store with a variety of food and beverages to indulge in; Florianigasse 13
  • Uppers and Downers Store—a store that sells vintage fashions, accessories, books, and magazines with unique clothing brands; Burggasse 46
  • La Cure Gourmande—a French and Viennese pastry shop; Neuer Markt 8a
  • Dock 7—sells a selection of Austrian designers, souvenirs, gifts, alcoholic beverages, and eco-friendly clothing and accessories; Kirchengasse 43
  • E. Kochert—a major Viennese jeweler who has designed Austrian royal jewels; Neuer Markt 15
  • Alt-Osterreich—a vintage store with postcards, walking sticks, classic records, and old photographs; Himmelpfortgasse 7
  • Arnold’s—a stylish boutique with international brands and labels such as Happy Socks and Edwin; Siebensterngasse 52
  • Augarten—a porcelain and china store; Spiegelgasse 3
  • Babette’s—a bookshop with a large selection of cookbooks from around the world, a great spice selection, and cooking classes; Schleifmuhlgasse 17
  • Bahnhof City Wien West—a contemporary mall located at the refurbished former Westbahnof train station with over 100 stores including clothing, electronics, and sporting goods; Mariahilferstrasse
  • Be a Good Girl—a boutique with books, accessories, and clothes by brands such as Barbara I Gongini, Don’t Shoot the Messengers, Irina Rohpeter, and Pleasure Principle; Westbahnstrasse 5A
  • Berger—a family-owned business that sells made-to-order ceramics; Weihburggasse 17
  • Bucherer—a jeweler with a large selection of watches as well as gold and diamond jewelry; Karntnerstrasse 2
  • Collins Hute—an accessories shop with scarves, gloves, and hats; Opernpassage
  • Dorotheum—an auction house with a long history that has furnishings from Austrian aristocrats, mirrors, silk fans, and other antique items; Dorotheergasse 17
  • Ebenberg—an eco-apparel store with clothing made from sustainable materials and fashionable silk clothing; Neubaugasse 4
  • EMI—a music store with a large selection of classical music albums as well as a variety of other genres; Karntnerstrasse 30
  • Flo Vintage—a vintage apparel store with styles from 1880-1980 including Charleston dresses, kimonos, bags, shoes, and jewelry; Schleifmuhlgasse 15A
  • Freytag and Berndt—a bookstore with a good selection of maps and travel books; Wallnerstrasse 3
  • Frick—a bookstore with a decent selection of art history books and guidebooks as well as bargain-priced books; Karntnerstrasse 31
  • Gabarage—a store that sells household items designed from recycled materials; Schleifmuhlgasse 6
  • Giesswein—an Austrian clothing store with traditional Austrian children’s and women’s apparel; Karntnerstrasse 5-7
  • Grandits—a stylish men’s store with designer clothing from Armani, Hugo Boss, Ralph Lauren, Versace, and Zegna; Rotenturmstrasse 10
  • Grune Erde (Green Earth)—a shop that sells organic housewares such as eco-friendly furniture, tableware, and cosmetics; Mariahilferstrasse 11
  • Ina Kent—a handbag store with fine exclusive handbags; Neubaugasse 34
  • Kaas Am Markt—a market and eatery with local cheeses, meats, breads, produce, and handmade specialties; Karmelitermarkt 33-36
  • Kulcsar Antiques—an antique store that specializes in silverware, watercolors, and objets d’art; Spiegelgasse 19
  • Lena Hoschek—a designer who uses floral fabrics to create petticoat dresses, blouses, and outfits that have been worn by celebrities like Katy Perry; Gutenberggasse 17
  • Loden-Plankl—a well-established traditional Austrian clothing store for men, women, and children; Michaelerplatz 6
  • Mondrean—a concept fashion store with brands such as Dekker, Rare, Vic Beckham, and Exoal, sunglasses, handbags, perfume, and jewelry; Dorotheergasse 13
  • Morawa—a well-stocked bookstore with books on a variety of subjects, magazines, and newspapers; Wollzeile 11
  • Muhlbauer Headwear—a milliner with unique hats and headwear that have been worn by celebrities like Brad Pitt and Meryl Streep; Seilergasse 10
  • Nachbarin—an avant-garde clothing store with labels such as Veronique Leroy, Anita Moser, and Elena Ghisellini; Gumpendorferstrasse 17
  • Nfive—a minimalist clothing store with labels such as American Vintage, Velvet, Best Behavior, and Tigers of Sweden; Neubaugasse 5
  • Peek and Cloppenberg—a six-story clothing store with well-known labels and off-the-rack bargains; Karntnerstrasse 29
  • Petit Point Kovalcec—a family-run store that sells gift items such as pill boxes, brooches, and needlepoint handbags; Kartnerstrasse 16
  • Pomellato Boutique—a fine jewelry store that has a collection of precious stone and silver jewelry; Tuchlaunbenhof 7A
  • Pregenzer—a designer clothing store with fashionable clothing, shoes, and gadgets; Schleifmuhlgasse 4
  • Printa—a women’s clothing and accessories store with handbags, accessories, clothing, and home décor; Lindengasse 22
  • Reingold—a fine jewelry store known for its designs and specialties in diamond, pearl, refined silver, and gold; Kartnerstrasse 16
  • Schella Kann—the flagship store of this Austrian designer who designs stylish clothing; Spiegelgasse 15
  • Shu!—a shoe store with all types of footwear in all shapes and sizes; Neubaugasse 34
  • Sisi—a boutique with nostalgic styles worn during the time of Empress Elisabeth with some of Austria’s best designers showcased; Annagasse 11
  • Song—a fashion haven with a stylish interior and glamourous labels such as Balenciaga and Margiela and clothing from younger designers as well; Praterstrasse 11-13
  • Spielzeugschachtel—a great toy store with educational and other types of games including wooden games; Rauhensteingasse 5
  • Steffl—a prominent Viennese department store with a variety of goods that are moderately priced; Kartnerstrasse 19
  • Ulliko—a women’s designer who creates clothing in a 1960s style; Kirchengasse 7
  • Wabisabi—a local designer’s shop that has flattering and comfortable clothing; Lindengasse 20
  • Werkbank—a trendy store with knickknacks, skateboards, wall art, and other specialty items; Breitegasse 1

Sights in Winnipeg

Winnipeg is both the capital and the major city in Manitoba and has great museums, a zoo, parks, and historic sites worth checking out.

  • Leo Mol Sculpture Garden—a sculpture garden with bronze sculptures by Polish immigrant Leo Mol, a pavilion, and a lily pond; 2355 Corydon Avenue
  • Assiniboine Park—a large park with a zoo, English gardens, walking paths, a miniature train, and a theater; 2355 Corydon Avenue
  • Manitoba Legislative Building—the home of Manitoba’s legislature where visitors can watch proceedings of the assembly when it is in session and tour the building on their own every day; 450 Broadway
  • Canadian Museum for Human Rights—a new museum that emphasizes the importance of human rights through interactive technological exhibits, videos, films, and art; 85 Israel Asper Way
  • Manitoba Museum—a great museum with exhibits on the history of Manitoba, the world, and the universe as well as highlighting ecology and astronomy; 190 Rupert Avenue
  • Royal Aviation Museum of Western Canada—situated at Winnipeg Airport, this museum is dedicated to preserving, restoring, and displaying planes from throughout Canada’s aviation history; 958 Ferry Road, Hangar T-2
  • The Forks National Historic Site—a 9-acre park with interpretive displays, sculptures, stone pictographs, and bronze gambling sticks that highlight events throughout the site’s history; 401-25 Forks Market Road
  • Fort Whyte Alive—a 640-acre outdoor destination with an interpretive center; café; aquarium; burrowing oil enclosure; bison prairie; prairie dogs; a pioneer sod house; walking trails; a nature shop; five lakes; and seasonal activities; 1961 McCreary Road
  • Assiniboine Park Zoo—a major tourist attraction with 200 animal species including an arctic species exhibit reputed to be one of the best in the world; musk ox; owls; and caribou; 2595 Roblin Boulevard
  • Winnipeg Art Gallery—Canada’s oldest civic art gallery with over 25,000 works of art from 15th century European paintings to 21st century American multimedia art; 300 Memorial Boulevard
  • Fort Gibraltar—a living history museum with interactive and guided tours about the fur trade with costumed interpreters, a blacksmith shop, winterer’s cabin, and trading post; 866 St. Joseph Street
  • Winnipeg Railway Museum—a railroad museum with antique trains and passenger trains that visitors can walk through; 123 Main Street
  • Le Musee de Saint-Boniface Museum—Winnipeg’s oldest building that is the convent of the Grey Nuns and has artifacts that depict life and culture of French-speaking and Metis residents of Manitoba; 494 Tache Avenue
  • Grand Prix Amusements–a children’s amusement park with go-karts, batting cages, bumper boats, miniature golf, and other activities; 738 Symington Road
  • Manitoba Electrical Museum and Education Centre—a museum that depicts the history of hydroelectric power in Manitoba from the 1880s to the present with a model streetcar, a robot made from over 50 household appliances, and an interactive discovery area; 680 Harrow Street
  • Seven Oaks House Museum—the oldest house in Winnipeg built between 1851-1855 for John and Mary Sinclair Inkster that is a rare log structure that illustrates the history of residents within the Red River settlement during the 19th century; 50 Mac Street
  • Oak Hammock Marsh—a marshy area that is a stopping point for migrating birds as well as a bird sanctuary; Route 200 at Highway 67
  • Living Prairie Museum—a 12-hectare unplowed prairie with a nature center that offers self-guided tours of the land where seasonal wildflowers grow; 2795 Ness Avenue
  • Tinkertown Family Fun Park—a family amusement park with rides, games, and miniature golf; 621 Murdock Road
  • Plug In Institute of Contemporary Art—a modern art gallery with exhibitions from local and international artists; 460 Portage Avenue

 

 

 

 

Sights in Calgary

Calgary is home to historic parks, great museums, a historic village, and a spacious zoo. I think I could definitely see myself checking out Calgary.

  • Fish Creek Provincial Park—a large urban park with over 54 miles of trails for hiking, biking, and running; 13931 Woodpath Road SW
  • Gasoline Alley Museum—a museum that celebrates the great changes the car brought to society with vintage vehicles, gas pumps, products, and signs from petroleum companies; 1900 Heritage Drive SW
  • The Military Museums—a museum complex consisting of the Naval Museum of Alberta; Army Museum of Alberta; Air Force Museum of Alberta; Lord Strathcona’s Horse (Royal Canadians) Museum; Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry Museum and Archives; The King’s Own Calgary Regiment (Royal Canadian Armored Corps) Museum; The Calgary Highlanders Regimental Museum and Archives; and the University of Calgary Military Museums Library and Archives that is the second largest military museum in Canada and teaches visitors about Canadian military history; 4520 Crowchild Trail SW
  • Heritage Park Historical Village—Canada’s largest living history museum with hundreds of exhibits, rides aboard steam trains and antique midway rides, shops, restaurants, and daily demonstrations and activities; 1900 Heritage Drive SW
  • Studio Bell—the home of the National Music Centre with five floors of exhibits about Canadian music history, the Canadians Hall of Fame, interactive instrument installations, and vocal booths; 850 4th Street SE
  • Glenbow Museum—an arts and culture museum that has historical galleries and exhibitions of art and culture from around the world such as Asian art and First Nations art; 130 9th Avenue SE
  • The Calgary Zoo—a large zoo with over 900 animals from around the world including gorillas, hippos, grizzly bears, four species of penguins, red pandas, and lemurs; 1300 Zoo Road NE
  • Famous Five Statues—five statues of historic Canadian women; 8th Avenue SE, Olympic Plaza
  • Calaway Park—western Canada’s largest outdoor family amusement park with live performances, miniature golf, a fishing pond, stores, and an RV park; Highway 1, Springbank Road exit
  • Calgary Chinese Cultural Centre—located in Chinatown, this center is home to a prayer hall in the Temple of Heaven with ornate column details and paintings including 561 dragons and 40 phoenixes as well as a cultural museum, art gallery, crafts store, herbal medicine store, and a 330-seat Chinese restaurant; 197 1st Street SW
  • Calgary Tower—a 626-foot scepter-shaped building with views of Calgary, surrounding plains, and the Rocky Mountains and at the top is a revolving restaurant, grill, and gift shop; 9th Avenue and Centre Street South
  • Devonian Gardens—on top of the Toronto Dominion Centre shopping mall, this 2.5-acre enclosed garden has 20,000 plants, walkways, a sculpture court, and a playground; 317 7th Avenue SW between 2nd and 3rd streets
  • Fort Calgary Historic Park—a fort established in 1875 at the intersection of the Bow and Elbow rivers that was in operation until 1914 and now includes an interpretive center which describes the history of native peoples, Mounted Police, and European settlers; a restaurant which was once the fort superintendent’s house; and the Hunt House built in 1876 and believed to be Calgary’s oldest building; 750 9th Avenue SE

Sights in Halifax, Nova Scotia

Halifax is the capital and major city of Nova Scotia and has a maritime history, art galleries, and fun museums for families to enjoy.

  • Anna Leonowens Gallery—founded by Anna Leonowens, the royal governess who inspired The King and I, and the founder of the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design, this gallery was named in her honor and has three exhibition spaces with an emphasis on modern studio and media art that has 125 exhibitions a year; 1891 Granville Street
  • Art Gallery of Nova Scotia—an art gallery housed in an 1867 building that once served as a post office, bank, and the headquarters of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, that has a permanent collection of over 17,000 works of art by modern Canadian painters, photographers such as Annie Leibowitz, and a renowned collection of maritime folk art; 1723 Hollis Street
  • Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21—Pier 21 once was the entry point into Canada for almost a million immigrants between 1928 and 1971 and is now the focus of a national museum that honors the contributions these immigrants made to Canada’s culture and economy; 1055 Marginal Road
  • Discovery Centre—an interactive science center with hands-on exhibits that explore physics, engineering, architecture, viscosity, and other subjects; 1593 Barrington Street
  • Halifax Citadel National Historic Site—this citadel built between 1826 and 1856 on the highest hill in Halifax is Canada’s most visited National Historic Site; there is a multimedia presentation on small forts and gun emplacements on the harbor islands and the bluffs above the harbor; tours of the barracks, guardroom, and powder magazine; and costumed reenactors practicing drills; Citadel Hill, 5425 Sackville Street
  • Halifax Public Gardens—among the oldest formal Victorian gardens in North America, this garden was completed in 1875 by the former gardener to the Duke of Devonshire and has gravel paths that wind around ponds, trees, and flower beds with a variety of plants from around the world as well as a café in the gardens; bounded by Sackville, Summer, and South Park Streets and Spring Garden Road
  • Halifax Seaport Farmers’ Market—a waterfront market that features the wares of artisans, over 200 local farmers, and cooks in a sustainable building with wind turbines, solar-energy and water-conservation systems, and a bio-wall providing for natural ventilation; 1209 Marginal Road
  • Historic Properties—a collection of restored waterfront warehouses that have been converted into shops, offices, restaurants, and pubs but seven have been designated as National Historic Sites; 1869 Upper Water Street
  • Maritime Museum of the Atlantic—a waterfront museum with displays that commemorate Nova Scotia’s sailing legacy particularly the Titanic and the Halifax explosion with 20 or so artifacts from the wreck of the Titanic including the ship’s only surviving deck chair, wall paneling, a balustrade molding, and the wireless operator’s log from the day the ship sank; other exhibits focus on the Canadian Navy, sailing ships, small craft boats, and steam-powered ships; 1675 Lower Water Street
  • Nova Scotia Museum of Natural History—a museum that allows visitors to learn about the plants and animals in Nova Scotia and has a nature center that is home to snakes, frogs, insects, and other animals; 1747 Summer Street
  • Point Pleasant Park—a former fortification site converted into a public park with 186 acres of walking paths and seafront paths as well as a massive round tower military installation and great views of ships entering the harbor; 5718 Point Pleasant Drive